18 Oct 2021
pt | en Contacts | Sitemap
Home > Parishes > Imaculado Coração de Maria
Imaculado Coração de Maria Print E-mail
ImaCorMari_Parish

The last decades of the 19th century marked the expansion of Madeira's capital along Ribeira de Santa Luzia and Monte, uniting Funchal's bay and Monte parish and later on (20th century) Terreiro da Luta as well. Since then the rural communities have been on migrating towards Funchal in search of work.

At the same time, on the hillside of Funchal new Villas, leisure areas and parks started on appearing and gradually replaced the old farms. With the occupation of Funchal's bay by new factories and services, the residential areas of Funchal began to rise progressively, giving birth to new centralities. In the 40's, during the town council of Dr. Fernão Ornelas, Funchal was subjected to a renovation period that resulted in a modern city able to respond to new demands of international tourism.

The construction of new roads, new buildings and more hotels led to a wave of migration. Those who found work in construction, quickly settle throughout the slopes of Funchal. This new reality gave place to new parishes as it was the case of the parish of Imaculado Coração de Maria.

Since the beginning of the 20th century, this area felt the deployment of new devotions, such as the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, which would be emphasized by the presence of Charles of Austria in Madeira, who would die at Quinta do Monte in February 1922 with a reputation for holiness, later confirmed in the 21th century, with his beatification.

On the 26 November 1954, Imaculado Coração de Maria was elevated to parish, mainly because of the population growth that occurred in Monte and Santa Luzia.

Demography:
Population: 5.329 Inhabitants/Km2
Area: 140hac
Surrounding areas: São Roque, Monte, São Pedro and Santa Luzia
 
Sitemap | Conditions of use | Privacy policy | © 2021, Municipio do Funchal Facebook | RSS