18 Oct 2021
pt | en Contacts | Sitemap
Home > Parishes > Sé
Print E-mail
Se

 

Sé parish, initially known as Santa Maria Maior, was the successor of the first parish of Funchal, installed with the arrival of the first settlers. The king D. Manuel had agreed to a request by residents to build a larger church, as the small stone church built next to the beach, was already too narrow for the population. 

So being the king decided to reformulate Funchal’s Village, offering the previous Campo do Duque so that a new administrative and political center could be raised, stating where it should be lifted a House chamber, later on would be the City Hall, a large church and a square between these two building, a pillory, or whipping post, a symbol of municipal power.

Nonetheless the locals had a bit of a hard time in taking the work forward. The project sent by Lisbon would only start in 1500, under the orientation of the new vicar Father Nuno Cão, and it was almost ready in 1508, when they blessed the walls. The process to transfer the parish proceeded then and on that same year the town of Funchal was elevated to City.

Soon this big church was ready and so it became the Cathedral, seat of the bishop of the Portuguese discoveries, established in 1514, and vicar Father Nuno Cão was now dean.

In 1558, given the growth of the city, Santa Maria Maior parish was reinstated, extending it to the east of Ribeira Joao Gomes, almost as we know it today. Progressively with the increase of population, other parishes were created within the grounds of the home parish of Sé, which never pleased the dean, as it happened in 1566 when it was installed in the parish of São Pedro, whose duration was ephemeral. But the size of the city and its population did not stop increasing. Consequently the rural parishes of São Roque and São Martinho were created and reinstalled the São Pedro one. Later on the parish of Santa Luzia would arise, and so on.

Demography:
Population: 2.507 Inhabitants/Km2
Area: 100hac
Surrounding areas: São Martinho, Santa Maria Maior, São Pedro and Santa Luzia
 
Sitemap | Conditions of use | Privacy policy | © 2021, Municipio do Funchal Facebook | RSS