28 Nov 2021
pt | en Contacts | Sitemap
Home > Historical Areas > Historical Area of Sé
Varadouros Square (Largo dos Varadouros) - The Town Gate Print E-mail
 

The Town Gate located in Varadouros Square, is a restitution of the old Town Entrance that used to close the defensive wall of Funchal. The Governor D. Lourenço de Almeida ordered this Gate in 1689, which was demolished in 1911.

The renovation work followed a historical study and the porch was built in concrete cement and materials from the Region. Original pieces were brought from the Museum Quinta das Cruzes such as the crown, royal weapons and the tombstone. 

 
The Town Gate
The Town Gate
 
 
 

 

 
Sitemap | Conditions of use | Privacy policy | © 2021, Municipio do Funchal Facebook | RSS